Slip and fall accidents are the most common accidents in the country. In fact, it is estimated that about a million people have to visit the emergency room to seek treatment for injuries caused by slip and fall injuries. In many cases, these accidents are preventable and largely the result of negligence, such as torn carpeting or inadequate lighting. If you sustained an injury from a slip and fall accident that was caused by property owner’s failure to properly maintain safe conditions, you could have a viable premises liability case for which you can be compensated.
Below are some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents:
- Wet or slippery floors: No one can do anything to change the weather, but tracked-in snow and ice should be cleaned up as soon as possible. Spills should also be promptly mopped or, at the very least, signs should warn visitors of wet floors until they are addressed.
- Cluttered floors: Clutter is a big tripping hazard. If there are supplies, trash, equipment, or debris left out, anyone could potentially trip, fall, and sustain a serious injury as a result. All walkways should be kept clean and clear.
- Icy walkways: All property owners are responsible for removing the snow or ice that builds up on sidewalks, steps, stairs, or other walkways.
- Damaged floors or stairs: Torn carpets or mats, loose floor tiles, and broken handrails are not just eyesores, they are also dangerous. A person could trip on a torn mat or carpet and loose floorboards could shift under a person’s weight, resulting in a terrible fall.
- Inadequate lighting: Inadequate lighting might not sound like a major hazard, but if you cannot see what is in front of you, you are almost guaranteed to have an accident. Without proper lighting, you could miss a step, not see obstacles that are in your way, or experience temporary vision loss as a result of moving from a well-lit space to a dark one, all of which could lead to a fall.
- Damaged sidewalks: Uneven walkways that are riddled with cracks or gaps can also cause a bad trip and fall accident.
- Ditches and potholes: It is crucial that holes, trenches, or other openings are either paved, covered, filled, marked with warning signs, or closed off by fencing.
Additionally, these are some of the locations where slip and fall accidents commonly occur:
- Stores: Grocery stores, malls, and shopping centers are all common places where slip and fall accidents occur. Managers of these businesses are responsible for cleaning up spills and ensuring that aisles are not blocked by merchandise. If floors are wet or slippery, they must put up warning signs for visitors.
- Restaurants: Spills happen in restaurants all the time and, if they are not promptly cleaned, a patron could slip and fall.
- Theaters and stadiums: These large public arenas get a lot of foot traffic and have the potential to get incredibly crowded. It is crucial for these venues to have adequate lighting and properly maintained floors, stairways, escalators, ramps, and seating to prevent slip and fall injuries.
- Parks and playgrounds: Children are far less cautious than adults, which makes them more prone to slip and fall accidents. As such, it is even more imperative for park and playground equipment to be properly maintained.
- Retirement homes: The elderly are also at a high risk for slip and fall accidents. Nursing homes and other residential care facilities should take this into account and maintain a safe environment that is free of hazards that could cause a slip, trip, or fall.
- Workplaces: Falls are also a common cause of occupational injuries. To prevent these incidents, federal and state regulations require employers to provide employees with safety equipment and training to help avoid falls.
- Private homes: Homeowners also have an obligation to ensure their property is safe and does not pose a safety hazard to visitors.
Slip & Fall Accident Attorney in Phoenix
If you sustained a slip and fall accident, as a result, a property owner’s negligence and failure to properly maintain the premises, you need to seek the assistance of a skilled premises liability attorney as soon as possible to fight for the fair and just compensation you deserve. At Rafi Law Group, our team of personal injury attorneys in Phoenix are dedicated to fighting on behalf of the injured and will ensure that the responsible party is held accountable for their actions.
Get started on your case today and contact us at (623) 207-1555 to request your free initial case evaluation.