The spinal cord is a crucial part of the human body and is responsible for much of its functions. When it sustains damage, several serious long-term complications occur, creating a lifetime of health issues for a survivor. Understanding these complications is a vital factor when it comes to recovery, so continue reading to learn more about them.
Here are some of the most common complications that arise from spinal cord injuries:
- Individuals with spinal cord damage often experience trouble breathing, caused by weakened muscles. Therefore, they are often prone to developing conditions like pneumonia and asthma. Medications can help regulate one's breathing. Additionally, spinal cord injury survivors should receive a flu shot every year.
- Heart trouble and low blood pressure are common in spinal cord injury survivors. Intravenous blood infusions can address this complication.
- Due to a spinal cord injury survivor's lack of mobility, blood flow through the veins is reduced, creating a perfect storm for blood clots to develop. Medication can be used to prevent blood clots from forming.
- Other complications that frequently develop as a result of reduced mobility are pressure sores, which are also known as bedsores. These occur when a person sits or rests in the same position for a prolonged amount of time, causing the delicate tissues of the skin to deteriorate. To prevent this from occurring, spinal cord injury survivors should receive assistance to change positions as often as possible.
- Troubles with the bowels or urinary tract are also common complications since this type of injury can affect the nerves that control these functions. A spinal cord injury survivor should drink lots of water and consume a diet that is rich in fiber to help alleviate discomfort. In more serious cases, a catheter might be useful.
- Fertility problems and sexual dysfunction are also common complications, though they occur in male spinal cord injury survivors than in females with the same injury. Although a woman's fertility is typically not affected by this injury, pregnancy still poses an extremely high risk to the mother's health and well-being. Consult with your doctor if you are considering pregnancy.
- Of course, there is a big psychological component to this injury as many survivors are overwhelmed with grief, sadness, and frustration. If you are struggling with depression after sustaining a spinal cord injury, consider seeking the assistance of a skilled therapist.
Call the Skilled Phoenix Personal Injury Team at Rafi Law Group!
Spinal cord injuries are painful and have lifelong consequences that affect survivors and their family and friends. If you sustained this catastrophic injury in an accident that another party caused, contact the experienced personal injury attorneys at Rafi Law Group in Phoenix to fight on your behalf.
Contact our legal team at (623) 207-1555 to schedule a complimentary case review with one of our compassionate attorneys.