Accidents that involve a Lyft or Uber driver are much different than your typical car accident. Uber and Lyft drivers are independent contractors, meaning they are not actual employees of the companies they work for. Because of this designation, it is actually easier for rideshare companies to deny injury claims that are filed against them. This is why it is important to know what steps to take after you’ve been in an accident with a Lyft or Uber driver. We explain below.
Steps to Take After a Lyft or Uber Accident
If you have been in an accident with a rideshare vehicle, here is what to do next:
- Take Care of Yourself: Check yourself and any other passengers in your vehicle for injuries. Do this before exiting the vehicle. Immediately call 911 if you or others have been injured.
- Beware of Traffic: Use hazard lights to let other drivers on the road to know they need be cautious. If available, use road flares to mark off the accident scene.
- Exchange Information: Get the information from all parties who were involved in the accident, especially for the Lyft or Uber driver. Make sure you get their name, phone number, home address, and business contact information. You will also want to get other information such as their insurance company, policy number, and driver’s license number.
- Call the Police: Police reports can be very handy when it is time to file your accident claim. A police report can be used to further establish your injury claim. Calling 911 after an accident can also help to speed up the accident claim process.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Speak with your insurer and remember to be as specific as possible when you describe the events of the accident. Doing this can end up saving you time and trouble in the long-run.
- Take Pictures & Document the Scene: Make sure to get clear photos of any damage done to your vehicle. This can be used to support your accident claim later on. Remember, you can never have too many pictures of an accident.
If you have been in an accident with an Uber or Lyft driver, you should immediately speak with our team of attorneys. Contact our Phoenix car accident attorneys to get started on your free consultation today.